Seattle surf rock band La Luz in severe car accident

(16)
La Luz's van is totaled.

Some terrible news about a band featured in this week’s issue: La Luz. The haunted surf rock quartet from Seattle was in an awful-sounding car accident last night.

The ladies of La Luz were supposed to play two shows in SF this weekend, opening for of Montréal. However the rest of their tour is now cancelled. Below is a statement from their label, Hardly Art, and info on how to help:

“Last night on their way back to their native Seattle from a show at Boise's Korah Shrine, rising surf band La Luz were in a severe accident that totaled their van, destroyed their gear, and incurred injuries to the band members.

As a result, they've been forced to bow out of their remaining tour dates with of Montreal, starting with tonight's performance at Neumos. For those who feel compelled to help the band get back on their feet, we've set up a Paypal account for laluzdonate@gmail.com; 100% of the donations will go the band as they seek to pay medical bills and purchase a new van, new equipment, and new merch.”

UPDATE from the band: "Last night was probably the most terrifying experience of any of our lives. But we're ok! Thanks for the love and well wishes everyone. We lost a lot of things (pretty much everything we had) and got pretty banged up when we were hit by a semi on our way to Seattle last night, but we're just awfully glad to be alive and we'll be back on our feet in no time. For those of you who want to help out financially, Hardly Art set up this paypal to help us pay for some stuff and money we lost. Love to you all!"

Comments

We all hope everyone is OK and our prayers are with you.

Posted by Guest on Nov. 06, 2013 @ 12:27 pm

Who exactly are you praying to? The same "all-knowing, omnipotent, loving, caring, kind and merciful" god who could have and didn't prevent this terrible accident in the first place? If that's who you're praying to, it's clearly a waste of your time.

Concerned thoughts are better than "prayers."

Sorry to hear about this accident. I wish them well.

Posted by Guest on Nov. 07, 2013 @ 4:44 pm

Another atheist trying to let everyone know its childlike thoughts. And obviously the ego of an atheist too, as this post about a damaged band turned into a juvenile rant.

Posted by Guest on Nov. 07, 2013 @ 7:15 pm

You do realize that you could've said nothing to this. By chiming in you do realize that you make yourself complicit in the whole my faith is better than your lack thereof game, right? I'm an atheist but I never would've said such a thing regarding a situation that is the greatest fear of all touring band. Thanks to you, dick, for the sweeping generalization, and the same to the other guy.

On a side note, it's quite fortunate to know that the band turned out OK and their gear, in time, can be replaced.

Theists and atheists, this is no forum to wage your battles.

Posted by Chad K on Nov. 08, 2013 @ 3:30 am

eff U.......I pray that you'll shut-up and die soon, jackass. Glad those girls are ok.

Posted by Guest on Nov. 08, 2013 @ 10:54 am

La Luz get well soon! Bummed I wont get to see them play this weekend but hopefully they'll recover quickly and pickup where they left off.

Posted by Guest on Nov. 06, 2013 @ 5:16 pm

speed in healing and remember, god loves a road kitty.

Posted by Guest on Nov. 06, 2013 @ 5:52 pm

I guess what god what probably doing was testing their will to live. sometimes things happen and they seem random, but if you pray to God he will show that it was a test. people who live a life of sin like La Luz (living in the pot making capital of the world, lesbianism)are going to be tested a lot in this life,

remember all, follow in god and you won't have to worry.

Posted by Guest on Nov. 07, 2013 @ 7:45 am
god

if (as you believe) there is a hell, your version of Satan has a special place reserved for people like you.

Posted by Guest on Nov. 07, 2013 @ 9:56 am

keep your crap out of such a terrible occurrence. capitalizing on things like this show what a sick person you are. if anyone has to worry about any judgement from a god it is you. you better start praying now, for yourself. if you're a troll the same still applies.

get well soon La Luz, all the best to you.

Posted by Guest on Nov. 07, 2013 @ 12:20 pm

Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. (Matthew 7, verses 1-2)

That accident sounds terrible - I hope everybody gets back on their feet soon!

Posted by Guest on Nov. 08, 2013 @ 8:12 am

God didn't cause this accident. He loves them. He certainly has something to do with their survival though. Get well.

Posted by Guest on Nov. 07, 2013 @ 8:33 am

Baba booey baba booey

Posted by God on Nov. 07, 2013 @ 10:33 am

Really dude? How are you going to say that something like this happened because they live a life of sin, and who are you to even say such a thing? Do you know what they do in their personal lives? I guess everyone from Seattle is a sinner.. Get well soon ladies, very sorry to hear about your accident. I'll pray for you while smoking a bowl with my lesbian sister.

Posted by Guest on Nov. 07, 2013 @ 3:31 pm

I was in a nasty wreck a few months ago and didn't think I would recover. I'm glad La Luz is still shining and hope this memory fades fast.

Posted by Guest on Nov. 08, 2013 @ 3:03 pm

I met these wonderful ladies in Chicago after seeing them open up for Of Montreal. I bought a cassette and they signed the sleeve for me. I was so impressed with how good/fun they were. I hope they recover soon and get back to making great music! My thoughts are with them!

- S

Posted by Sam Svita on Nov. 12, 2013 @ 6:40 pm

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.

Also from this author

• Love rumbles

Who is Charlie Megira? A Berlin rebel with a Bay Area connection

• Down at the Rickshaw

One of our favorite independent music venues celebrates 10 years of rockin' -- with a week of great shows

• Rockin' New Year's Eve